This page tells you about Grooming and Bathing your pig.
You will need to groom your guinea pig every day. You will need:
- Nail clippers
- Weighing tray
- Your eyes
- Look over your guinea pig carefully, look on it's belly, too.
- Feel it's skin for bumps and lumps.
- Brush it.
- Comb it.
- Check it's nails.
- Weigh it.
You will need these things to trim their nails:
- A carrot or dandelion.
- Nail clippers.
Nail trimming checklist:
- Put the towel on your lap.
- Give your pig the carrot.
- Get one of the pig's paws.
- Cut all the way to the quick (pink part).
- Do every paw.
- Praise your pig.
- Put the pig in it's cage.
- Tidy up!
- Jug of warm water.
- Blanket or hay.
- Hot water bottle.
- Flat-bottomed bowl.
- Mild baby or kitten shampoo.
- Fill the bowl with a tiny bit of warm water.
- Lower the guinea pig in.
- Splash water on it, keep the face dry.
- Pour a capful of soap on the guinea pig.
- Rub it into the coat. Don't forget the belly!
- Give it a shower to rinse it.
- Rub the coat.
- Keep rubbing and rinsing until there are no more bubbles.
- Set the guinea pig down and dry it.
- Brush it and comb it.
- Wrap the hot water bottle in a towel.
- Put it in the bottom of the box.
- Fold a thick blanket up and put it in the box on top of the water bottle.
- Put your pig in the box on top of the blanket.
- Let it dry.